Apples and Snakes' part-time Programme Co-ordinator Gina Sherman has been developing work in the South West over the past five years, with a particular focus on Devon – the largest county in the area.
To see events taking place in the South West, visit Events or go to Artist Development if you are a spoken word artist in the area. Our current programme and artist development offer includes:
- The bi-monthly spoken word night Spokes Amaze held at the Bike Shed Theatre in Exeter and featuring the Ready Steady Slam plus local, regional and national artists.
- The seasonal spoken word night Forked held at the B-Bar, Barbican Theatre, Plymouth and featuring a diverse line up of local, regional and national artists.
- Supporting spoken word promoters in the South West to programme performances from established poets including those outside the region and at new events. For example working with Matt West, director at Artfulscribe in Poole, Dorset.
- Running one off performances of national and international touring shows at venues across the region.
- Running other projects and events designed to respond to the needs of local poets by improving their professional skills, providing progression routes and performance opportunities.
- One-to-one advice and guidance sessions from Gina about your own practice and aspirations as a poet.
- Producing a monthly e-newsletter called Snakebasket, which includes highlights of the Apples and Snakes programme alongside information about other poetry events and projects in the area, space permitting.