Kindness Poetry Competition 2023
What does kindness mean to you? What does kindness look or feel like?
Write a poem on kindness and enter SPINE Festival 2023’s competition for the opportunity to have your poem published by Otter-Barry Books! This competition is judged by Waterstones’ Children’s Laureate Joseph Coelho! Winners will be announced at the festival launch on 10 April 2023.
Your poem will be published in an Otter-Barry Books’ anthology edited by Joseph Coelho!*
- You must be 5 – 11 years old
- Your poem must be no longer than 15 lines
- It must be an original poem you have written about kindness
- Only one poem is allowed to be submitted per entrant
- You must live in one of these London boroughs:
Brent, Bromley, Ealing, Greenwich, Hammersmith and Fulham, Harrow, Islington, Kensington and Chelsea, Lewisham, Merton, Newham, Southwark, Sutton, Tower Hamlets, Wandsworth and Westminster
Submit your poem online using this link.
The link will take you to an online form where you can fill in your details as well. If you have problems or questions with the form then get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
The competition closes on 16 December 2022 at 23:59 GMT.
NEED TIPS ON HOW TO WRITE A POEM?
See what judge Joseph Coelho says it takes to write a good poem:
- Carry a notebook. No matter how good your memory or how wonderful an idea or phrase is, if you don’t jot it down as it occurs you’re likely to forget it so carry a notepad and a pen.
- Explore poetic forms. Form can be a great way to explore a subject by giving you a creative restriction that often opens-up ideas and turns of phrase that you may never normally come up with. There are many great books on form that tell you about different types of poem including my own “How To Write Poems, as well as no end of websites that spell out how to create sonnets, villanelles, sestinas and the like.
- Share your poems, write them in cards, declare them at birthdays, read them to your friends and families.
Watch this video for more tips
You can also check out these resources on Joseph’s website:
Fun videos on how to write poems!
More helpful tips and resources for writing poems!
*Please note the anthology prize is subject to funding, alternative prizes will also be available should funding be unsuccessful. This will be communicated to the winners ahead of the festival launch on 10 April 2023.
This competition is part of SPINE Festival 2023.
Joseph is a big ambassador in working with children and believing in their ideas. His approach to workshops encourages the creativity and bold insight that children can bring to ideas. Read more about his work, poetry and process in this blog.